Thursday 27 March 2014

A green smoothie experiment {though I have to admit, they never really look that green....}


...jep. Somehow my green smoothies never really end up looking green, so that's definitely something I'm going to work on. But for now, we're going to work with this:


Broccoli. Yes, you saw and read right.
I made myself a huge bowl of just plain slightly steamed broccoli yesterday and couldn't finish it, so instead of just eating the same thing again today, I tried to come up with something else. And why not, I thought, try and throw it in a smoothie!?
So, that's exactly what I did ;)


In the mixer went:

  • 1/2 a frozen banana (I used the unfrozen one only for the picture ;P)
  • 1 cup frozen mixed berries
  • 1 orange 
  • 2/3 of that bowl of slightly steamed broccoli
  • 1 large tablespoon non-fat Greek yogurt
  • three times the amount of vanilla-soy yogurt
  • low fat milk to make it a bit thinner
Put all of this into a blender and mix.


I have to admit that I'd probably have went for more yellow/orange-ish fruits if I had had them, but I simply used all the things I had on hand. But how about mango, oranges and banana with broccoli?! Just get creative!

And: It actually tasted really good!!! I would be lying if I didn't say I wasn't sceptical, and saying that you don't taste the broccoli at all would also be a lie, but it definitely wasn't that bad and the broccoli mixed well with the sourness of the orange and the berryness of...well the berries ;)

Go have fun mixing fruits and veggies together!! I feel like spring is just asking for that extra portion of fun, colour and health :)


No comments:

Post a Comment