Thursday 31 July 2014

My first attempt at falafels

I just quickly wanted to hop by before I'm off tho the airport tonight and leaving for Africa. I made this recipe last week and it was so easy and fast, I needed to share it before it would fall into oblivion in the depth of my computer ;)

Homemade Falafel by Just a Taste

If you click at the link above, it will direct you to the original recipe. Down here, I'll just write down what I ended up with ;)

For appr. 16 falafels:

  • 2 cups cooked chick peas
  • 1 small onion
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1 cup parsley leaves
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • chili, cumin, salt
Put all of the above into a food processor and mix until dough-like. I made the mistake here to start with my chickpeas and proceed with the lighter stuff on top. That, however, didn't mix well. Next time I'll be putting in all the light stuff first, and the chickpeas on top.
Let the mixture cool off for one hour in your fridge...or do it as I did and put it in the freezer for 6 minutes ;) (Yeah. I know. Patience is definitely not my thing).

Cover the base of a frying pan with oil and form little balls which you fry in your pan. After a minute or so, press them slightly into a more flatter form. Flip around and continue cooking until they're done.
If you follow the recipe link above, it will provide you with the instructions for a tahini sauce. 
We simply went for store bought hummus and yogurt, which  just tasted amazing as well ;)
And we also did fry up some egg plant and served avocado, arugula salad and cress at the side.

Enjoy! ;)
(And I'll be off doing some last preparations. Stay tuned for posts from Africa! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment