Sunday 5 January 2014

Arugula and Butternut Squash Quiche

Hey there. Happy new year!
It's been quite some time since my last post but oh well. This is, at least, a hobby...and not some stressful thing I have to do, right?! Right!
So, this post was written a long long looong time ago....but the recipe is simple that good (for once) so I had to share it. Don't let yourself get confused about some of the content.

Back than:
With this recipe we're about to document the second use of my microwave/oven!! Thumbs up for that. So far it's going quite good though the noises it makes still have me worried at some points...sight, the silence and comfort of a real oven. (The noises are still happening...though by now I'm not concerned anymore. Nothing has happened, ergo, I loooove my microwave-oven!!)

Anyway. I have been eyeing quite a lot of "new" veggies recently and thought I might give them a try. The sweet potato is slowly creeping into my daily routine and now the butternut squash is making an appearance. (Can you tell, someone here is proud of their cooking achievements. ha!).
The original recipe idea is from here (Butternut squash, Arugula and bacon quiche by gimme some oven). Though, as usual, I didn't have everything on hand and also felt like using up some of my in-fridge-things. So I went with the idea and kind of mixed it up a bit.

For one arugula and butternut squash quiche, you'll need:

  • 1/2 butternut squash
  • two carrots
  • 2 handfuls arugula
  • 1 onion
  • olive oil
  • vegetable broth
  • salt&pepper
  • curry powder
  • dried oregano
  • 3 eggs
  • 50gr cream cheese
  • milk
  • ~60gr feta cheese
  • cheese
For the dough:

  • 1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 Tablespoon water
  • ~100gr butter
  1. First of, prepare your dough! In a bowl, mix together flour and salt and add the butter in little cubes as well as the water.
  2. Knead with your fingers but you won't have to combine it perfectly. I had little bits of butter left.
  3. Wrap in foil and put it in the fridge while you prepare the other things.
  1. Cut and peel your butternut squash. I wasn't too sure if I would have to peel it, but the main posts I found on goggle, recommended peeling it. So I did. Cutting the squash was quite difficult since it turned out to be pretty hard. I used my biggest knife (which turned out to be my bread knife) and cut my half into another three pieces. That made the peeling process (done with a knife as well) way easier!
  2. Peel and cut your carrots and onion.
  3. In a frying pan, starting with the onions, slightly fry all your ingredients until soft. I normally start with olive oil and add my vegetable broth later for some further simmering. While your veggies are in the pan, also add the curry powder.
  4. Start preheating your oven to 170°C/338°F. Put your dough into a buttered cake pan and spread all the way around and up the borders as well. If you have a microwave oven as I do, just put the cake pan in on 170°C (without preheating) for 5 minutes.
  5. While your dough is in the oven, in a large bowl, combine your softened veggies, the arugula, the feta, salt&pepper and the dried oregano. Toss.
  6. In another smaller bowl, whisk together your eggs, the cream cheese, salt&pepper and a sip of milk.
  7. Take out your dough and fill it with the veggies and the egg mixture.
  8. Sprinkle the additional cheese on top.
  9. Put back into your oven/microwave for about 30 minutes at 160°C/320°F.
  10. Let cool a bit.

And that's it. Considering the effort, it's a medium recipe. I'm sure that it might speed up a bit once I'm accustomed to squash (and having a bigger frying pan would have helped as well) but all in all, it was ok.
What I loved was working with all the bright colours (and green and orange/yellow simply are amazing together!) and the smells of the spices. It's definitely a fun recipe. And omg-SO-tasty!!!!
Keeper! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment