Monday 13 January 2014

I was feeling like veggies...

The cold I had last week, and which I thought, I had managed to overcome, decided to make it come-back this morning. So here we are with a dull headache, a runny nose and a slight sore throat. Yay...not.

So. Since it is so not the time to get sick right now, with all the upcoming exams and all the studying that needs to be done around here, I needed a power booster asap! And what is better than tons of veggies, spices to clear that nose and some comfortable heat to break that chill!?


Anti-Cold Red Curry Coconut Soup
You'll need for one medium pot soup:

  • Everything pictured above (except for the tomatoes, I threw those out). Which would be
  • Mushrooms appr. 150gr
  • 1 large carrot
  • Sugar peas
  • 1 can coconut milk (400gr)
  • Ginger (half of what you see in the picture)
  • 200gr tofu
  • 3 Tablespoons red curry paste
  • broccoli (that was about half a head)
  • Spring onions (one of them)
  • Olive oil
  • Water


  1. Heat up some olive oil in a pot. Peel and cut your ginger into tiny cubes (go as small as you can. If you have one of those "crushers" that's awesome...I unfortunately, did not). Start frying the ginger and dried tofu (cut into squares).
  2. Peel and cut your carrot and add to the frying tofu and ginger for a short time.
  3. Add the Red Curry Paste and let the carrots soften for another additional minute.
  4. To deglaze, add the coconut milk.
  5. While you bring your mixture to a boil, wash and cut the broccoli, the mushrooms, and the spring onions wash your sugar peas.
  6. Add all of the above to your coconut mixture with the spring onions and mushrooms coming last.
  7. Taste test if you need any more paste and water to get more liquid (also, by than, the whole mixture had a really creamy and rich texture and strong taste, I wanted it a bit more moderate).
  8. Let simmer until your veggies have the preferred consistency.
  9. Enjoy ;)


This. Is. So. Incredibly. Yum!! I had to take seconds even though I was already full. And that soup bowl makes you feel good all the way through. So many different textures from crunchy to smooth surrounded by a rich and spicy coconut soup bursting with flavours. And it has all kind of important and healthy vitamins, fibre and protein. You could also serve quinoa, rice, noodles or ebly on the side (Though I really felt like something light, so I kept it to just soup).



I hope you can make this soup without the excuse of a cold :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Jo for this recipe, it was yummy. Even my meat-loving family liked it. And it's also vegan. ;)
    Next time I'll do it, I will ad some garlic and some chili. This would also be good against a cold.
    A and I forgot to mention, I did it without tofu. And it was still delicous and good looking.

    Best regards, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's nice to hear! Thanks so much! And the garlic and chili is a great idea!

      Delete
  2. ..very good and healthy. Perfect meal for cold days but not only, thanks!:-)

    ReplyDelete