Friday 31 January 2014

Peanut butter Banana {cake-bread}

Looking at food makes me nearly as happy as writing about food. It's probably just a more serious case of food love. Could that be it? Like, I not only like to eat food. I also love to prepare it, look at it, write about it...the list goes on and on.
So here we are with this recipe.


Peanut butter takes a special place in my heart. All the way back when I was a kid and living at home (that's a weird sentence by the way) we never had peanut butter! Never. We had nutella as probably every household in Germany has, but no peanut butter. My first encounter with it was when I stayed at my, at that time, best friends place, and her family introduced me to Belmandel with peanut butter (along with that also went the introduction of belmandel and cottage cheese but that just on the side). It tasted a lot like a Twix bar but in bread form. So: Really good!!!

Several years forward and I found myself in Canada Vancouver, having breakfast at a single guys household. What is there for breakfast? Toast! And peanut butter! And Jam. That was my first time of pb&j and I have to admit, ever since I'm hooked! Either pb&j or put a banana on top of it! Or with chocolate. As in normal eating chocolate, dipped in pb...we tried it all. Also, it really is tightly bound to cookie butter. But that is a different story ;)
So unnecessary to say, not only does it remind me of really special and really fun times, but also do I love everything that has peanut butter in it! ;) Like this peanut butter banana bread I had to make. I didn't want to let those bananas go to waste, did I?!
This is the original recipe. Below is my tweaked version.

Peanut Butter Banana Bread
You'll need:

  • 2 overly ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 Teasp. baking powder
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 egg
  • 1 large tablespoon yogurt
  • pinch of salt
  • ~80-100 gr nuts (I used hazelnuts)

  1. Mix together the sugar and the butter and beat until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the egg and beat again.
  3. Add the peanut butter, the yogurt and a pinch of salt. Again: Use your mixer ;)
  4. Mush up the bananas (I like to leave tiny chunks), add your mashed bananas, the flour and your roughly chopped nuts. Mix.
  5. Put in the oven for about 50-55 min on 150°C (Heißluft!!) or 350°F (normal)
And just so you have something to laugh about...this is how my handwritten "recipes" looks like (they are only for my personal use....so messy is totally ok!!):

Enjoy! (btw it's needless to say, that I topped the whole thing with more peanut butter, right?! ....saying that, I should have whipped up some peanut butter frosting and put it in top of that cake. Next time!!)
Oh, and this is also great for freezing!


No comments:

Post a Comment