Sunday 23 June 2013

One point less {Sky diving}

Seriously.? Before I start telling my story. This. Was. Awesome.
Amazing.
Stunning.
Breath taking.
I want to do this AGAIN! This was just way too good!

Ok. I needed to get that off my chest. No we can start properly.

Being a good blog reader, you've probably went past my bucket list and being an even better reader, you probably read all of my 10.000 things I want to do. In case you did not, I'll just tell you: Sky diving was on that list.
I had planned to do it last year, but had chickened out in the last minute (I really don't get why. Never mind.)
After having been to Canada, to India, doing all the stuff I did...well, I felt more than ready to conquer that point this year. And, because I have the best aunt in the whole wide world, there we were, two crazy women on a Saturday morning, off to jump off some flying plane. Sounds awesome, doesn't it?! ;)

 We started with really really beautiful weather. You can't really see it, but that picture has some stunning skylines on it. Just so you know.
 We arrived pretty early at 9am and after signing in (assuring we weren't drunk we had to agreed to the fact that there would be one point where we couldn't turn back in this and 'yes' we were a 100% sure we wanted to do this (hell yes!!)) we had a quiet and awesome breakfast.
Our view...through my super awesome sunglasses, which makes everything look like it came out of some old movie.

After all the people had arrived, we got a little prep talk. Just kidding. They just made sure we would know what to do. Though, and that got repeated quite a lot, even though we should forget everything again while suddenly facing nothing but the thin high air in a moving plane, they still would make sure we'd arrive safely down. Good to know, right? So, we all proved anyway that yes, we were able to raise our feet and yes, also the whole head in the neck and hips forward did work pretty well.

And than we had to wait. And wait. And wait. Which is probably just part of the whole thing. I used the time to make some (cough) pictures.
 The clouds and the sky were amazing. And they got a bit scarier the longer we waited. Nothing better than that to raise your mood. No seriously. We were fine. Can you tell ;)
 Yeah. I took a picture of the grass I was sitting on. And yes, I did get comments for that one. Haha. Talk of a photographers pride.
And than, suddenly we were done waiting. There were to first groups to start with. My aunt and I were in the second. Good thing, because we got to watch first and you're getting all the photos!

 There they were. Walking. Uh. Sorry, I just don't know how to really describe this any better. See for yourself.
 The starting place for the plane was right next to the tent we had waited in.
 There were 5 'passengers' and 5 'people-to-jump-with'. All waiting, some rather anxiously/excited/giddy...
 We were waiting too....
 And than they got on the plane and off they were. It is a crazy weird feeling to sit on that plane. Though nothing you could not manage!!!
 You fly about 10-15 minutes to reach the perfect height for the jump. Depending on the weather and the air traffic it is a bit higher or lower sometimes.
Ok. See that 'bigger' black spot in the sky right under the small white cloud? That's a bird. Now, look a bit lower and a bit more right. You see a faint, teeny tiny spot...that...was the plane. Do I have your attention?

And than...they jumped.

We couldn't really see it. We just heard the plane coming closer, far far above us and than how it slowed down a bit. There were too many clouds to actually see them jump and fall. But we did see them emerging from the clouds!

 One.
 Two.


 Three and four is one it's way.
And all five.
Landing position.

And than, it was time for us. At that point I was, rather girlish, jumping up and down and not able to wait one more second to get on that plane. But first we needed to change.

 Please follow us! :)
 But before you enter, someone has to change into this really hot suite. Yeah. I know. I was excited.
 Inside they were preparing the used parachutes, folding them back in. I was using the time to snap a couple of pictures...and put on some more stuff.
 My aunt, getting her things.
 The rest of our group.
Here we were. Is it just me or does this grin look a tad off? Haha well, I promise, I was fine!!

Just like the other group had, we headed off to the plane. At the end we were 11 people. 5 pairs and one guy was jumping by himself.
My jumping partner and I went into the plane first...which also meant we would leave it as the last two persons. I sort of didn't get that until I had to watch everyone before me, falling off the plane. Sorry. That does sound strange, doesn't it? But for now I was still perfectly fine.
My jumping partner came from Melbourne, Australia and it was fun to hear this perfect Aussie accent again. Makes me want to go back there. Anyway.
I probably did talk more than I would have normally. Ok, I confess I'm an easy talker, but I definitely did talk more than normally. I do feel sorry Dan. I hope you didn't mind.
And than we were off.
Up to this point I was feeling good. I had one tiny second where I had to bite my lip because I suddenly found out it was trembling (why the heck would it do that?! No idea!!) But apart from that. Easy peasy. Going to India by myself did change something in me haha.

For the rest, I doubt I can tell you how it feels. How it feels to be above the clouds and suddenly hear your partner say "I want that you hang your feet out of the door..." What? Out of the door. Yeeeeeeah sure. "...and I'm going to count 1, 2, 3..." three light swinging movements "...and than we'll jump". Yeah right.
I wasn't scared.
I was thrilled.

Your brain stops working somehow. And than you fall. And you get why this is called sky diving. Because, you dive into the sky!


And seriously. This. Is. Amazing.
Stunning. Breath taking. Exhilarating. Awesome....
If I could afford it, I would do it again and again and again and again.
But you do have to find it our yourself. Because, even with all the adrenaline, the excitement, up there, there is this stunning calmness. You feel...I don't really know...infinite? It is simply amazing.

And I'm 100% sorry for having called your job 'unnormal' Dan!!!, if all my career plans fail, I'll do that instead!

 Before...and after...

How did we like this?

If you're interested: We jumped with 'spring-mit' and they really did an awesome job. The guys are great, which made it even more fun...and I got a few new points for my bucket list...but those will be actually kept secret.
At the end we all received a certificate. What do you think, wouldn't this be an improvement for my CV? ;P

1 comment:

  1. wow, how brave. I am not sure if i would be that brave. Jumping out of a plane,...not quite my favorite thing to do. But "Flying", well I would like that. My Mom did it at her 40th birthday and she loved it too.
    By the way, I can nearly subscribe your whole bucket list, the pottery, the portuguese, the traveling...I'm in for that.

    Have a nice day, Nina

    ReplyDelete