Monday 7 October 2013

Pepper and carrot scrambled egg {A student's messy egg dinner}

Sitting in the kitchen, just having had an amazing dinner, staring out into the ongoing evening, looking into red, yellow and still green leaves, chewing on some 70% dark chocolate....that does sound like heaven, doesn't it? So I must be in heaven?
Well, I know for a fact that this is not the fact but oh well. One can dream, right?

However, even though this is not heaven, I did have a pretty awesome dinner. And it wasn't just pretty awesome for the taste buds but also considering the whole colour spectrum! I mean, look at those bright and crisp colours:

By the way, there is simply no greater joy than working with a sharp knife in the kitchen. Yay for awesome kitchen knifes!!
(Yeah, this might just be the crazy food person talking. Anyway). I sometimes still surprised by how much you can improve in simple things such as scrambled eggs! I mean. There are scrambled eggs and than there are scrambled eggs!
This scrambled eggs though, also got the name "A student's messy egg dinner" (and this might be weird after all the stuff I just wrote, but) I would in no way ever say about myself that I can cook! Or that I could give advice at any chance. Cooking for me is a lot like painting. The pan is your canvas and your ingredients your colours. And I simply like making interesting messes on an empty canvas ;)

See how I had the green/yellow of the olive oil, mixed with the sharp red of the pesto with white, green and black accents from the spices? Yeeeah, anyway...;)
Enough food-philosophy. In case you want to recreate this (or any close-to) scrambled egg mess, you'll have to:

  1. Cut up one small green pepper and two carrots.
  2. Fry and slowly let the carrots soften in a pan with some olive oil. Later on, add the green pepper.
  3. While your vegetables are frying/softening in the pan, scramble together in a bowl: 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon cream cheese, 4 small feta cubes, 1/2 teaspoon red pesto, a sip of milk and salt and pepper.
  4. When your vegetables are done, pour the egg mixture in as well and stir until the egg is cooked.
  5. Serve hot and eat immediately (if your not a crazy person like me and you prefer to take pictures of your food first, that is).
  6. And that's it! Enjoy!

The hint of pesto and feta cheese was just perfect in this, mixed with my softened but still slightly crunchy vegetables (this also preserved a lot of their natural flavour) it made up for a perfect dinner that needed nothing else in addition. Though, I did have some chocolate ice cream afterwards. But I'm also ice cream addicted so that shouldn't be a surprise ;)

One steaming hot plate of down to earth awesomeness
I wish you all a nice start into the new week, and I know I promised pictures but a) I got distracted by building new kitchen shelves which I just bought today after University (which also meant I carried home: My bag, my groceries and two kitchen shelves. I might be super woman after all!), b) I got too hungry after that so I headed into the kitchen and c) by the time I was done there the light had just gone. So you'll have to wait a bit more. And also....my room is still kind of under construction...so we'll see how this goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment