Wednesday 10 April 2013

Work things {The "real" Wednesday post}

Since last month, I've been working as a salesgirl in the one big store in our little city. It's nothing huge but it's ok. It pays the bills (Sort of. I would need a bit more but I'm getting off topic).
When people ask me what I'm doing and I inform them about my job as a salesgirl/woman I get two kinds of reaction. The first one is a smile and "Oh that's great" (I wonder what emphasizing the "that" means!?) and that's about it. The second one is a shocked raised eye brown (one raised eye brown!) and "But that's just as a side job for now..." (ending in an raised-voice-open-end-sentence-question).

Here's the thing. People seem to assume working as a saleswoman seems to be some kind of lower not so awesome job.
Don't get me wrong but there are (again) two options. You could either be served by a person just as our, here lovely pictured, No.1. Or by a person just like No.2.

Grumpy No.1 and sunny No.2 in a have-a-closer-look study

 I, for my part, try to do my best and be a No.2. And believe me, that needs some work and some serious ambition, no matter what people might think.
Because, staying friendly when people consider you part of the inventory, or staying calm and focused while 10-or-so people are standing in line, furiously stabbing you with their glares, because the third person in a row decided to pay 4,33€ with card, or...I could just go on.
So, I am kindly smiling and confirming that "Yes, this is just for now." But I honestly think people should try to be a bit more...understanding. Meanwhile I'll just keep on standing there, smiling and hoping to make every ones day a bit brighter because there got there "And here's your change have a lovely day" with the sunniest smile I could manage ;) (Go appreciate them!!!)
(In case that sounded harsh...it wasn't supposed to be. Did I sound harsh...?)

Oh and because it wouldn't be a real post without some pictures (not my lousy drawing) here we go with what I had for dinner tonight.


Carrot-Apple-Salad



You'll need:
  • 4 large carrots
  • one large apple
  • sunflower seeds
  • sauce
  1. Peel carrots and wash your apple.
  2. Grate carrots and apple into a bowl (I don't peel my apples, but they are organic (therefore not chemically treated) so it's up to you and might be depending on the kind of fruits you use)
  3. Add sunflower seeds (For the amount I used about 3 1/2 Tablesp. but that's optional)
  4. For the sauce I have to admit I used a store bought one tonight. If you life in Germany and have free access to a REWE ;) it's the "Sylter Salatsauce" a gluten and lactose free kind of yogurt dressing. But really any dressing would work. You could, for example, mix together: Olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper and a bit of honey. Or simply add a bit of lemon juice and salt and pepper.
  5. Top with a few greens
  6. Enjoy ;)
Oh and that's the smile you'd get...not the first one. The last one ;)
I kept half of the salad for tomorrow by the way. Great for any lunch addition!!

No comments:

Post a Comment